Monday, December 11, 2006

WHAT IF?

I write fiction. I've tried non-fiction, but must admit that, for the most part, it is too bland for me; too confining. Somehow it stifles MY creativity. I'm definitely a fiction writer and my favorite writing game is WHAT IF?

Writing a good read is about more than just words on paper (or in this day and age - words on your hard drive). It's about characters, settings, plots, and conflicts. It's about "what if". Any given character placed in any given situation - "what if?" The possibilities are endless.

In teaching creative writing to teens I use this question to get them thinking. I give each student a character name (John, Mary, Joe, Beth, whatever...) and a one line starter. It's trite but one of my favorites is-- "It was a dark and stormy night, __________(insert character's name). The assignment is to take the situation and place your character in it. Now - "What if?"

It always amazes me that regardless of how many students I have in the class no two stories are alike. Imagination is not only special, it's also individual. Try the "what if?" game sometime. Even if you don't fancy yourself as a writer, you might be surprised where your imagination can take you.

Happy strolling.

Blessings,
Kathie

5 comments:

Eden said...

I'll have to try the "what if?" sometime.

Laura said...

Hi Kathie,
Thanks for commenting at my site and thanks to your daughter as well for recommending me :)
Blessings,
Laura

Susanne said...

Thanks for visiting my place and leaving a comment. That's a very sweet and friendly daughter you have and your granddaughter is too adorable for words.

Kari said...

Thank you for stopping by my place! After reading your posts, I'm honored that you enjoyed my "simple writings". I can't wait to try the "What If" exercise, but it will have to wait until after Christmas! This project I've started is taking more thought and studying than I realized. If you haven't been over to "Can You Hear Me Now?" you might want to visit soon. She is a GREAT writer and I know you would enjoy reading her site! I hope you will come back soon!

Ms. Kathleen said...

Excellent! Life is so full of "what ifs" that the imagination can certainly run wild. I think I would enjoy reading some of your writings.

Enjoyed looking your blog over.

Blessings!